4 Times To Take Care Of Mold On Your Own

16 October 2019
 Categories: , Blog

Share

No one wants mold to grow in their home. However, mold spores are everywhere in the air, and when the conditions are right, mold can take hold in your home. After your home experiences water damage of any kind, from a leaking pipe to flood waters, mold is a common side effect. 

If you find mold in your own home, there are a few situations where it is safe to clean it up on your own; otherwise, you should call in a professional to assist with the mold removal process.  

Time #1: Mold Covers a Small Area 

It makes sense to clean up the mold if the mold only covers a very small area. A small patch of mold is something that an individual without professional experience can take care of. If the area of mold is about the size of a piece of paper, you can take care of it yourself. If the area of mold is bigger than a piece of paper, you need to bring in a professional.  

Time #2: Mold Is on a Non-Porous Surface

Second, it is much easier to clean up mold when it is on a non-porous surface. When mold is on a non-porous surface, all you have to do is remove the mold from the surface of the item in order to get rid of the mold. When the mold is located on a porous surface, you need to clean a lot deeper and do follow up treatments or remove the porous material that came into contact with the mold altogether from your home.  

Time #3: You Lack Health Issues 

You should only clean up mold if you lack health issues that would be irritated by cleaning up mold. For example, if you suffer from asthma or allergies, you should not clean up the mold as the mold spores could get into your lungs and be damaging. If you suffer from an autoimmune disorder or you have a weak immune system, you should not clean up mold.  

Cleaning up mold can impact your health, so you need to evaluate your health before you start cleaning up mold.  

Time #4: You Have the Right Safety Equipment 

Finally, you need to make sure that you have the right safety equipment. You need to have a breathing mask that is made to handle mold. You need to have goggles, and you need to have a disposable coverall that you can put on and get rid of when you are done cleaning. You need strong gloves as well.  

You should only clean up mold on your own if the mold is covering a very small area and is primarily growing on a non-porous surface. Even under those circumstances, you should only clean up the mold if you don't have a health condition that could be made worse by exposure to mold and you have the right safety equipment. If in doubt, call in a water damage team who can clean up the mold and fix the water damage all at once.